Substitute Teacher Requirements and Information
Individuals pursuing a substitute teacher position with Thomaston-Upson County Schools must meet the following criteria:
- Age 21 or above
- High school diploma or GED, or higher level of education (Copy of diploma/transcript must be provided)
- Complete the state-mandated substitute teacher training at Griffin RESA OR possess a Georgia teaching certificate - For information about upcoming substitute teacher training at Griffin RESA, click here or call 770-229-3247.
- Mandatory fingerprint/background check completed (at applicant's expense). Payment is made (cash or money order, currently $45) and processing forms are available at Central Office.
- Payroll Information Packet (Available at Central Office)
- Completed employment application through Applitrack
- Local Substitute Teacher Orientation - This step may be completed ONLY AFTER all other steps have been completed and all paperwork has been submitted to Central Office. The substitute teacher candidate must make an appointment with the principal (or designee) at each school where he/she desires to substitute.Local Substitute Orientation is required for all new substitute teachers and for all substitute teachers returning to Thomaston-Upson Schools after more than two (2) years absence.
Important Information for Substitute Teachers
The requirements stemming from the federal healthcare law, which limits substitutes to no more than seven (7) hours per day, four days (4) per week, remains intact. The limitation does not apply to retired teachers.
Meeting the criteria listed herein does not imply automatic employment as a substitute teacher. Substitute teacher applications are thoroughly reviewed. We are seeking persons with a high level of integrity and excellent character to work with our community's children.
Effective August 2016, all substitute teachers currently working with the Thomaston-Upson School System will be required to submit a document requesting to remain on the substitute list for the upcoming school year. Details on this process will be provided soon.